Sunday, July 5, 2009

Day 89: (In)dependence Day. (Posted 48 hours late!)

Its the 4th of July. I'm blogging on the weekend and a holiday. (Not really I wrote this days ago and am just posting this now to look cool -- it didn't work did it?)

Alas, another Independence Day has gone by and my own independence seems just out of reach. I am still on a limited from of what I and my sister like to call Welterfare.

Welterfare is TOO big to fail.

I don't want anyone to worry. As far as I know there is no danger of this. But if the time comes for a government bailout, I want this to be the CW* already.

*CW in the political blogs means "conventional wisdom". On the TV blogs it is the 5th place network behind even NBC, that destroyed and then canceled Veronica Mars. You'll have to use contextual clues to figure out which meaning I am using.

I don't collect much in Welterfare these days -- though I guess my unemployment benefits do still come from them indirectly (see day 17). But getting off Welterfare is my bit of unfinished business to focus on for the day.

I'd also like the give the US of A a shout out this 4th of July for taking care of a bit of unfinished business and electing a black man to the highest office.

In all sappy seriousness, the collision of this revamped blog and Independence Day brings to mind the preamble to the Constitution. "We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union..." It seems that this 233 year old experiment in democracy is one big unfinished work. (the constitution itself was a redo). So my preachy call to all of you is get and/or stay engaged and we can keep striving for a more perfect union.

Oh. And here's some Bill Pullman:


No comments:

Post a Comment